This is a page where we will share the latest news and resources that may help small businesses, especially restaurants and retailers, navigate today and the days ahead. We will update this regularly.
Covid-19 Impact Snapshot- Small Business Spotlight
The strength of our community—looking out for our neighbors, rallying around our small businesses, supporting our front line workers—has been a powerful beacon of hope during these trying times. Learn more about how our businesses are affected and are adapting, here.
Covid-19 Impact Snapshot – Residential Spotlight
This City City Snapshot, the second in our ongoing series, contains a focus on the impact COVID-19 has had on the urban residential experience. In this Snapshot, we sought to understand the aspects of Center City life that residents value—what they miss and what has sustained them through this crisis. Residents told us that they fought feelings of isolation by connecting with neighbors at a safe distance from their windows, patios, and balconies. Click here to read the full report.
Operations Resources for Businesses
Loans & Grants
- US Small Business Administration loans and resources related to COVID-19, including the Economic Injury Disaster Loan Program for small businesses. Mecklenburg County is not yet listed in the database of eligible areas for these disaster loans for COVID-19, but I read that the NC Governor’s Office made that request Monday, March 16th.
- Cardin, Bipartisan Senate Task Force Secure $377B for Small Businesses
- Paycheck Protection Program: The Small Business Administration (SBA), in consultation with the Department of the Treasury, intends to provide timely additional guidance to address borrower and lender questions concerning the implementation of the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), established by section 1102 of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act or the Act).
- Meck County Covid-19 Small Business Emergency Stabilization Loan Fund
- Meck County Microbusiness Stabilization Fund
- Salesforce Care Small Business Grants
- NC Covid-19 Rapid Recovery for Small Businesses
- Verizon Small Business Recovery Fund Email List
Helpful Resources from the Charlotte Regional Business Alliance
Safety Guidelines and Tips for the Workplace:
- Workplace Tips for Employees
- Guidelines for Employers: Planning & Responding to COVID-19
- OSHA Guidance for Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19
- Business Pandemic Checklist
Coronavirus Business Resources
- North Carolina Business Relief Resources
- Business Resiliency Planning
- Corporate Aid Tracker
- Small Business Administration Disaster Assistance Loan (SBA)
- NC Chamber Resource Guide
What Can We Do?
This list of ideas has been shared in discussion among business owners.
- Create new online e-commerce platforms and virtual shopping events
- Expand sick leave policies for employees, and reiterating that no one sick should enter place of business
- Post signage and communicating to customers and clients that they should not enter if sick, and instructions on how they can call to request delivery or curbside delivery
- Contact your landlord immediately to request rent abatement
- Collect donations for individuals and households in need
- Respond with warmth, kindness and hope to support each other, employees and customers.
- Band together to support local businesses.